Thursday, January 31, 2008

Men, Morals, and the Law

When I first read Antigonê, I did not find any moral conflicts among the characters. I thought Antigonê was right and Creon was wrong. I thought, and still think, she had a right and moral obligation to properly honor her dead brother that no law could overrule. However, as we discussed the play in class I began to look at the situation from Creon’s view. Polyneicês was a traitor and fought against Creon’s kingdom, so why should he give him a proper burial? So for a while I was caught between the two sides. Which law held preference, family law or state law? Although not as mind-boggling as the chicken or the egg question, it is still a real brain buster. I feel that the opening scene between Antigonê and Ismenê represents this moral dilemma,
Antigonê: You may do as you like, since apparently the laws of the gods mean nothing to you.
Ismenê: They mean a great deal to me; but I have no strength to break the laws that were made for the public good (60).

I still feel Antigonê was correct in wanting a proper funeral for her brother even though he was a traitor. All she wanted was to bury him. No elaborate funeral plans or anything like that, just the opportunity to honor the brother she lost. I feel like Creon should have been able to get off his high horse and grant her that single request. Yes Polyneicês betrayed him, but the kingdom is still standing. Even though I understand where Creon is coming from in his reluctant to grant Antigonê’s request, I still feel he is in the wrong. Apparently I was not the only one, since as the play progresses we find Antigonê’s case silently gaining support from others.

One question that remained in the back of my mind during this play was how would the situation play out if Antigonê were a man? Would she have been put to death instead of being locked in a box? Would the majority still have agreed with her? Would Creon still have reconsidered the punishment? Many people in the play felt that because Antigonê was a woman, she was weak in character, “For they are women, and even brave men run when they see Death coming” (160). There are countless examples from the text that support the chauvinistic view many of the men hold, “If we must lose, let’s lose to a man at least! Is a woman stronger than we?” (45). When Creon first hears of the attempted burial of Polyneicês, he and those around him immediately assume it is a man who committed the act. Throughout the play though Antigonê proves to be no shrinking violet. It takes a great amount of courage to stand up to a higher authority, especially when that authority is family. She is willing to die for her cause and boldly defends herself in front of Creon during a time where most would be shaking in fear. Her bravery and sense of morality in the play easily standout and make her the memorable character she is.

(524)

6 comments:

Caitlin Wilenchik said...

Nat-
I like how you point out that Creon is sexist; it bothered me as well. As for Antigone, she is just as stubborn and I thought it interesting that you would even think of what would happen if she were to be a boy, and how the outcome might have changed. This directly reflects their culture, and I enjoyed reading what you immediately thought following your read.

Gary Gold said...

Natalie G!!!

Your blog post was like a sweet red rose in bush a of thorns. Very interesting to read. I like the topic you discussed about how the story would be drastically different if Antigone were a man. Interesting discussion and I agree with you that she definately would have been respected more if she were a man. But enough about ridiculously old stories. I am excited to throw clay with you on monday. Hopefully Mr. Cook will make the final piece of my sculpture for me.

The Falconer

LCC said...

Gee--I also think Sophocles gives Creon a valid point, but for me the most telling thing that the play does is to show us how Creon loses sight of his original argument and becomes trapped in a process of showing Antigone (and his son) that he is more powerful than they are. It's a trap every parent (and yes, teacher too) has fallen into at one time or other, although hopefully without the life or death consequences.

Emily Gogolak said...

Natalie,

Like my fellow commenters, I find your gender argument thought-provoking. I think Antigone's gender makes her disobedience all the more unbelievable and uncomfortable for Creon: it is a double blow to the force of authority: a) citizen standing up to the state; b) woman standing up to man.

Your "Yes Polyneicês betrayed him, but the kingdom is still standing" really struck me. If Polyneices had inflicted severe harm on Thebes, Creon's actions would have greater reason. However, like you said, the kingdom is still intact! So why doesn't Creon just accept that fact, and follow "family law?!"

I so enjoyed reading your very insightful blog - great job!

-Emily

Danni said...

Nat

I read your blog on Friday and have not commented on it until now...obviously...reason being that I still cannot decide whether Antigone would have been treated differently had she been a woman. Maybe it would not have been as a big of a deal: a man standing up for his brother. Maybe Creon and his advisors would give a stricter punishment, not backed down, and never changed their mind. Maybe Antigone would not have felt the need to prove herself to everyone and desperately kill herself in the end. Who knows? Sophocles makes us think. Way to make me think more!

Danni

Ally Resnik said...

Natalie--
I thought it was interesting that you speculate on the role that gender plays in Antigone. I'd never considered how the play might have differed had Antigone been a man. Her courage is indeed commendable and would be even if she were a man. Yet, but being a woman in early Greek society must have made standing up for what she believed to be right even more difficult.

-Ally